Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies ~flourless, no butter!!~

I got this recipe from a great blog, Ambitious Kitchen! She always posts amazing desserts, dinners, and snacks and more! I love taking her recipes and making them work for me :) How can this picture not catch your eye and make you salivate!!?




Prep time - 5 mins   Cook time - 10 mins   Total time - 15 mins!!





So I was looking to make a delicious cookie that would not ruin your day spent eating clean and healthy foods. Now by no means am I a baker.... I love to cook! BUT baking has never spoken to me because I have a hard time following exact instructions and cooking times which equals a baking disaster!


When I found this recipe I was so excited!! Quick, simple, and peanut buttery!! So I am usually not a big peanut butter fan, but all of the sudden BAM I love peanut butter :D. These cookies hit the SPOT! Try them out and let me know what you think. I highly suggest using an ice cream scoop to place the cookies on the baking pan because I was covered in sticky cookie by the end of this!!

These cookies are made up of the following:
Peanut butter: She used old-fashioned creamy or chunky peanut butter (not all natural); the reason for this is that it’s already salted and contains stabilizers. However, I used all natural unsalted peanut butter and I added in a pinch of salt and perhaps a bit more sugar and oatmeal to the dough.
Oatmeal: Do not use quick oats. You can use the traditional rolled oats. And remember to purchase certified gluten-free oats if you are baking for someone who is gluten-intolerant.
Dark Brown Sugar: Dark brown sugar always leads to a chewier, richer cookie. These cookies are made with dark brown sugar ; however, light brown sugar would work fine. If you want a lower calorie cookie you can also make these with 1/2 cup of brown sugar instead of 2/3 cup and they still came out great but just taste a little more like oatmeal. If you’re curious as to how brown sugar is created, it’s simply molasses added to white sugar. Dark brown sugar = more molasses (and a better cookie too)!
Chocolate Chips: These are optional so feel free to substitute them with other add-ins such as: raisins, cranberries, white chocolate or butterscotch chips, or completely omit them. You can also use less chocolate chips if you’re trying to watch your sugar intake. I use dark chocolate chips because they have more nutritional value than milk chocolate. 





Thick, chewy peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies made without butter or flour. Delicious!

Author: 
Recipe type: Cookie
Serves: 20 cookies
Ingredients

  • 1 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter (not natural)
  • 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2/3 cup chocolate chips

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, some ovens are different, mine is about 50 degrees off so I bake at 400 degrees F 
  2. In small bowl mix together the oats and baking soda; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl beat peanut butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth, about 3 minutes. Mix in dry ingredients with a wooden spoon, then gently fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Roll cookies into 2 inch dough balls and place onto cookie sheet 2 inches apart, then BARELY flatten the top of the cookie with your hand. The dough should be pretty sticky so if you find this method annoying (SO ANNOYING!!), simply use a cookie scoop to drop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. The cookies may not be as round in shape and perhaps a bit thicker, but that’s okay, they will still be delicious.
  5. Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes and remove when edges barely begin to turn a golden brown. The cookies may look a little underdone, but they will continue to cook once you remove them from the oven. << this is a hard concept for me to remember but it is so important! Cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookie dough. Makes 16-20 cookies.


Notes

You can use less sugar or less chocolate chips to save calories — I have tried using 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips and they turned out great! Feel free to substitute almond butter or another nut butter in replace of peanut butter. These cookies disappear quick so I recommend doubling the recipe!

Nutrition Information

Serving size:1 cookie 
Calories: 147 
Fat: 8.7g 
Carbohydrates: 14.4g 
Sugar: 10.5g 
Fiber: 1.5g 
Protein: 4.4g

7 comments:

  1. These look delicious Heally! Can't wait to make some. I really appreciate the nutritional information posted with it....I usually end up having to calculate it myself :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calculating is definitely not the fun part but it is always helpful!! haha

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I made these last night and they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed them Kevin!! I cannot wait to make them again :)

      Delete
  3. I just made these, swapped the sugar for stevia and tasted fantastic! Thank you :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh that sounds delicious! I must try your swap :) Thank you for the support! Check out the Cauliflower crusted pizza, another favorite of mine :D

      Delete
  4. I made these cookies they turned out great! love this recipe i just swapped natural peanut butter and then used white chocolate chips even though i think that white chocolate is too sweet for me but it was so good they were really gooey. Thank you love the recipes you post!

    ReplyDelete