Friday, June 7, 2013

Easy rice and beans!

Pinto Beans and Rice



This is such a great side dish that really provides a lot of protein and substance to a meal. When I was a vegetarian, at first I didn't know how to get my fill on just veggies. I thought that I had to add breads, pastas, tons of rice, CARBS! This was not the way to eat as a healthy vegetarian, this was something I had to learn the hard way. Vegetarian does not always equal healthy, make sure you are making the right decisions when it comes to your diet! This recipe provides protein from the beans (you can use other beans besides pinto as well!) and substance from the rice. Pair it up with some steamed veggies and you have a balanced meal that will fill you up without making you huge :D


What do I need?

1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup canned pinto beans with liquid (if you make them from scratch, EVEN BETTER!)
1 tsp. of smoked paprika (I sometimes use cayenne to pump things up!)
1/8 tsp. of cumin -- my new best friend
1/4 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
Himalayan Salt to taste -- only add if you need it, the Braggs is flavor enough


What do I do?

Heat beans gently in sauce pan over med-high heat until they are simmering. Drain and return to pan. Add oil, spices, aminos, and salt. Stir well and gently fold cooked rice into beans. Serve 1. EASY PEASY! Thank you Beachbody Ultimate Reset, once again! You rock my world UR!

No comments:

Post a Comment